Rex to stand down staff as it faces bigger loss

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Tue Aug 10, 2021

Mainline contender Rex has flagged it will stand down staff and lose more money in fiscal 2021 than previously expected as a result of COVID lockdowns on Australia’s east coast. The airline has already grounded the Boeing 737 services launched early this year as part of a bold but unfortunately timed push into mainline domestic flying. It said it would outline the number of stand-downs at the end of the week after consultation with stakeholders. READ: Qantas offers frequent flyer status extension Rex revealed profit guidance in June that forecast a pre-tax loss of $A15m for the 2021 financial year. It now believes its statutory loss for the full year will be $A18m, compared to a $A9.9m  first-half profit bolstered by government relief measures. “The lockdowns that eventuated in new South Wales in June and ensuing border closures have significantly impacted revenue,’’ the airline said in June 10 statement to the Australian Stock Exchange. “Furthermore, no measures were taken initially to mitigate the losses as the lockdown was perceived to be temporary and of short duration. “Consequently, the losses for the month of June increased substantially and Rex now believes that the statutory losses for the full FY21 will be $18m.” The closures have been a blow to all carriers with Qantas announcing it will stand down 2500 workers and Virgin Australia also rumored to be considering suspensions. Rex, which has threatened to take legal action against Qantas, will release audited reports on August 31 that will include an outlook for the coming months. The smaller carrier is alleging anti-competitive behavior on the part of the Flying Kangaroo, something Qantas denies and monitoring by the competition watchdog has so far failed to substantiate.  

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood
Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing
Airline News

Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing

Feb 13, 2026

Nicholas Ling

Featured articles

View more
This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul
Airline News

This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul

Feb 12, 2026

Airline Ratings
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood