New Zealand works towards open skies with China

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Mon Mar 27, 2017

New Zealand officials say they are working on an open skies agreement with China after boosting the capacity available to Chinese carriers by 20 per cent.

The move to increase the cap on Chinese services to 59 a week aims to help tourism-oriented New Zealand capitalise on the growing appetite for travel among mainland Chinese but stops short of the move by neighbour Australia to remove capacity restrictions. 

However, the New Zealanders have the potential to expand the agreement later this year and NZ Tourism Minister Simon Bridges said the government was continuing to work towards an open skies agreement with China.

“We’ve seen strong growth with visitors from China and we expect this to continue,’’ Bridges said in a statement. “China is our second largest source of visitors after Australia, so it’s important that we have the appropriate agreements in place to support this.

“The amendment will also allow additional airlines to enter the market, ensuring a competitive environment that will benefit New Zealand and Chinese travellers.’’

New Zealand has gradually expanded the services available to Chinese airlines from 42 per week in 2014 to 49 in 2016 as  Chinese tourism last year grew 12 per cent to 421,000 visitors.

Five Chinese airlines currently operate to New Zealand and a sixth, Sichuan Airlines, will enter the market in June.  

“New Zealand is committed to liberalising air services, allowing for competitive markets, increased air traffic, lower air fares and stronger international trade links,” Bridges said.

Air New Zealand declined to comment on the potential for increased competition from more low-fare Chinese carriers.

AirNZ operates its own daily flights from Auckland to Shanghai and Hong Kong. It also codeshares to Beijing with alliance partner Air China and it is seeking regulatory approval to extend its agreement with Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific.

The Kiwi carrier reported in February that increased international competition had contributed to a 24 per cent dive in first-half profits and said its full-year pre-tax result would also be lower.

It now expects to record pre-tax earnings for the full financial year of between $NZ475m and $NZ525m, compared to $NZ663m in 2015-16.
 

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood
Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing
Airline News

Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing

Feb 13, 2026

Nicholas Ling

Featured articles

View more
This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul
Airline News

This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul

Feb 12, 2026

Airline Ratings
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
Arik Air B737 diverts after engine failure mid-flight
Airline News

Arik Air B737 diverts after engine failure mid-flight

Feb 12, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood