• Home
  • /
  • Airline news
  • /
  • Boeing tightens procedures after foreign objects found in stored MAX aircraft

Boeing tightens procedures after foreign objects found in stored MAX aircraft

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Wed Feb 19, 2020

Boeing is tightening procedures on its 737 production line after foreign objects were discovered in the fuel tanks of several stored 737 MAX aircraft. The discovery, first reported by Leeham News, prompted a memo from 737 program general manager Mark Jenks to workers describing the situation as unacceptable. Foreign Object Debris, or FOD, refers to parts, tools or other objects left in the aircraft during the production process. Boeing has had a problem with this at its 787 facility in South Carolina and with its KC-46A tanker, the latter prompting the US Air Force to twice suspend deliveries. READ: Boeing moves to distribute second $US50m from MAX fund. Jenks said one FOD “escape” was one too many. “With your help and focus, we will eliminate FOD from our production system,’’ he said, adding meetings had already been held in the 737 production facility in Renton, Washington, to discuss new procedures. These include new instructions and checklists for those working in fuel cell areas and additional verifications in the tank closure process to ensure there is no FOD in fuel tanks. New signage will be also added to the appropriate work areas reminding workers about appropriate procedures. Boeing has suspended 737 MAX production but more than 400 undelivered aircraft are stored at various locations. The global MAX fleet was grounded after two fatal crashes which killed 346 people were linked to problems with flight control software known as MCAS. Boeing is inspecting the stored planes ahead of a decision by the US Federal Aviation Administration and other regulators to allow the aircraft to fly again. When that will happen remains unclear and is dependent on FAA flights to test changes to MCAS and a process to ratify new training requirements. There had been speculation the FAA test flights would take place in the next few weeks but US carriers have since removed the MAX from their schedules until at least August. One of the three US airlines operating the MAX, United Airlines, has dropped the MAX from its schedule until September 4. US reports said the FOD find was not expected to impact the return to service.  

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?
Airline News

Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?

May 16, 2026

Josh Wood
AirAsia Indonesia drops key Australian routes
Airline News

AirAsia Indonesia drops key Australian routes

May 15, 2026

Josh Wood
Which airlines in Thailand are the safest
Airline News

Which airlines in Thailand are the safest

May 14, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Emirates lifts the UAE flag higher than ever before
Airline News

Emirates lifts the UAE flag higher than ever before

May 8, 2026

Josh Wood

Featured articles

View more
Which airlines in Thailand are the safest
Airline News

Which airlines in Thailand are the safest

May 14, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?
Airline News

Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?

May 16, 2026

Josh Wood
Vietnam Airlines Business Class Review
Airline Ratings review

Vietnam Airlines Business Class Review

Feb 24, 2025

Nicholas Ling
United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents
Airline News

United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents

May 7, 2026

Josh Wood