MH370 search heads into $US70m territory

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Wed Apr 4, 2018

The search for MH370 has moved into $US70 million territory as search vessel Seabed Constructor moves into extended search area known as Site 2 covering the Broken Ridge plateau. Under the agreement brokered by Ocean Infinity and the Malaysian Government, the searchers receive a $US70 million fee if they find the wreckage outside a primary 25,000  square kilometre zone defined by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, CSIRO and other experts. Read London-based finance chief linked to MH370 search. They would have received between $US20 million and $US50 million if it had been found in the primary search area but as of April 1 no significant contacts had been identified. The latest update from the MH370 recovery Team said the high-tech ship was on April 1 still searching the seabed in Area 3 of the Site 1 primary area. However, the map accompanying the update and satellite data posted by independent experts following the search indicate it has moved into the Site 2 extension.
Image
The search area as of April 1. Source: MH370 response Team.
It has been near a site identified by University of Western Australia Professor Charitha Pattiaratchi as the origin of particles used to direct debris hunter Blaine Gibson to find wreckage in the western Indian Ocean. UWA’s oceanic drift modeling indicated the priority region to target would be in the area Seabed Constructor is expected to target in the next phase of the search – between 33°S and 28°S along the 7th arc. There is also a potential "warm spot" around 30°S related to debris seen from a Royal New Zealand Air Force Orion on March 28, 2014. An extended search to 29°S will involve the Seabed Constructor covering more than 40,000 sq. km before the search ends in June or July. Ocean Infinity was given 90 days to complete the search but this did not include transit time to or from port so the ship could re-supply. Despite expectations of bad weather generated by Cyclone Marcus when the Seabed Constructor arrived back on site on March 27, it was able to launch all its autonomous underwater vehicles. The response team update said 37,000 sq. km of search area had been covered by April 1, including additional areas along the northern and southern legs of Area 1, Site 1. Favorable weather and sea conditions were forecast for the week ahead, the update said.

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
Flying to Nepal? You need to read this
Airline News

Flying to Nepal? You need to read this

May 19, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?
Airline News

Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?

May 16, 2026

Josh Wood
AirAsia Indonesia drops key Australian routes
Airline News

AirAsia Indonesia drops key Australian routes

May 15, 2026

Josh Wood
Which airlines in Thailand are the safest
Airline News

Which airlines in Thailand are the safest

May 14, 2026

Sharon Petersen

Featured articles

View more
Flying to Nepal? You need to read this
Airline News

Flying to Nepal? You need to read this

May 19, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Which airlines in Thailand are the safest
Airline News

Which airlines in Thailand are the safest

May 14, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Vietnam Airlines Business Class Review
Airline Ratings review

Vietnam Airlines Business Class Review

Feb 24, 2025

Nicholas Ling
United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents
Airline News

United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents

May 7, 2026

Josh Wood