MH370: First report

Geoffrey Thomas

By Geoffrey Thomas Thu May 1, 2014

The preliminary report into the disappearance of Flight MH370 released on Thursday May 1 will likely upset relatives and loved ones of the 239 passengers and crew aboard the Malaysia Airlines jet because of its lack of new information.
It comes as Malaysian sources confided to AirlineRatings.com that if MH370 is not in the current search zone off Western Australia, authorities had “no idea where it is”.
The five-page preliminary report has been described by one former crash investigator as “barely adequate.”
However a number of new facts have emerged.
The report indicates that Malaysian air traffic control did not contact its military after the aircraft disappeared from radar and didn’t start a search for the plane till four hours after it went missing.
Air traffic control only made contact with Singapore, Hong Kong and Cambodia air traffic authorities to find out if the pilots of MH370 had been in touch.
It was also revealed that Vietnamese air traffic control waited 17 minutes to alert authorities the plane had not made contact after signing off from Malaysia.
The Malaysian Government did however release the cargo manifest, seating plan for the plane, air traffic control audio and the various flight paths that they believe the plane took.
An excellent analysis has been done by a CNN team including Richard Quest, who forced the Malaysians to release the report.
Authorities are convinced the jet crashed in the search area where four pings were detected by Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield on April 5 and 8 — about 1000km west of Exmouth in the Indian Ocean.
The Joint Agency Co-ordination Centre yesterday reaffirmed the search area — 700km long and 80km wide. The search could take up to eight months.
“The Australian led search is relying on information from satellite and other data to determine the missing aircraft’s location,” JACC said in a statement.
“The joint international team is satisfied that the final resting place of the missing aircraft is in the southerly portion of the search arc,” JACC said.
The Bluefin-21 is searching in the area and will be joined by other equipment including a submersible called Orion, which can operate to a depth of 6000m.

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
Jetstar vs Scoot between Singapore and Australia: Who's the better choice?
Airline News

Jetstar vs Scoot between Singapore and Australia: Who's the better choice?

May 21, 2026

Nicholas Ling
Which airline is best between the UK and Dubai?
Airline News

Which airline is best between the UK and Dubai?

May 20, 2026

Josh Wood
Flying to Nepal? You need to read this
Airline News

Flying to Nepal? You need to read this

May 19, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?
Airline News

Why are pre-takeoff and landing checks so important?

May 16, 2026

Josh Wood

Featured articles

View more
Jetstar vs Scoot between Singapore and Australia: Who's the better choice?
Airline News

Jetstar vs Scoot between Singapore and Australia: Who's the better choice?

May 21, 2026

Nicholas Ling
Flying to Nepal? You need to read this
Airline News

Flying to Nepal? You need to read this

May 19, 2026

Sharon Petersen
Which airline is best between the UK and Dubai?
Airline News

Which airline is best between the UK and Dubai?

May 20, 2026

Josh Wood
United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents
Airline News

United Airlines 767 accident adds to pattern of recent incidents

May 7, 2026

Josh Wood