Bali volcano alert downgraded after activity falls

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Sun Oct 29, 2017

Indonesian authorities have downgraded their eruption warning for rumbling Bali volcano Mt Agung after a decrease in seismic activity. The alert was  boosted to the highest threat level more than a month ago amid fears an eruption was imminent. The volcano’s rumblings as magma pushed towards the surface caused a massive downturn in Bali’s crucial tourism industry as travel insurance companies withdrew coverage for an eruption. Reports put the loss to the island’s economy as high as 2 trillion Rupiah ($US147m). Indonesia’s Center for Volcanolgy and Geological Hazards announced on Sunday that it was downgrading the alert from level IV to level III, or from dangerous to high alert, after 38 days at the higher level. The Volcano Observatory Notice for Aviation (VONA) was at yellow on Monday, indicating a significant decrease in activity but that the volcano continued to be closely monitored. It had previously reached the second highest level, orange. While experts cautioned there was still a chance the volcano could erupt,  the head of the volcanology centre, Kasbani, said there had been a fall in seismic activity after October 20. Kasbani said the activity had dropped dramatically in the first three days and slowly declined thereafter. GPS data showing the deformation of the volcano indicated a slowdown and satellite data had shown  “a decrease in thermal energy”. Drones were also used Sunday to make visual observations of the crater and this showed that gas activity had decreased since October 20. “Thermally and visually, data consistently shows a decline, so we declare the status down," he said. Authorities also reduced the exclusion zone for the volcano from 12km to 7.5km and, in some cases,  from 9km to 6km. More than 130,000 people evacuated from the immediate danger zone have been housed in refugee camps around Bali and many will now be able to return home. Mt Agung’s last major eruption was in 1963 and killed more than 1100 people. That eruption lasted for more than a year.

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood
Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing
Airline News

Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing

Feb 13, 2026

Nicholas Ling

Featured articles

View more
This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul
Airline News

This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul

Feb 12, 2026

Airline Ratings
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
 TransNusa Perth to Bali review
Airline News

TransNusa Perth to Bali review

Feb 4, 2026

Chris Parry
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood