American cancels MAX flights until early 2020

Steve Creedy

By Steve Creedy Wed Oct 9, 2019

American Airlines has canceled Boeing 737 Max flights to the start of next year, indicating Boeing’s estimate that the troubled plane will fly before the end of the year was optimistic. American, which is canceling 140 MAX flight per day,  said it now expects the aircraft to return to service January 16. “American Airlines anticipates that the impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX will lead to recertification of the aircraft later this year and resumption of commercial service in January 2020,’’ the airline said in a statement. READ: Air freight decline now down to global financial crisis levels “We are in continuous contact with the Federal Aviation Administration and Department of Transportation.“ Regulators have yet to say when they will allow MAX back in the air with the FAA declining to give a timeline as recently as this week. The global MAX fleet was grounded in March and has been mired in controversy since two crashes killed 346 people. Southwest Airlines had already taken the MAX fleet out of its schedule until January 5 and United Airlines has done the same until December 19. American said it expects to slowly phase in the MAX for commercial service and to increase flying of the aircraft through the month and into February. It said additional refinements to its schedule may occur until February 12. Customers booked on a MAX flight through to January 6 will be automatically accommodated on the same flights operated by a Boeing 737-800. The majority of customers previously booked on a MAX flight between January 7 and January 15 will be accommodated on a different aircraft type. The announcement comes as Southwest Airlines are suing Boeing for loss of wages totaling $US100 million as a result of the Boeing 737 MAX grounding. READ:  Southwest Airline pilots sue for lost wages The Southwest Airlines Pilots Association filed a lawsuit in the District Court of Dallas in Texas Monday alleging Boeing deliberately misled the airline and its pilots about the 737 MAX. Boeing said in a statement it was aware of the lawsuit and would vigorously defend against it.

Have questions or want to share your thoughts?

Comments

No comments yet, be the first to write one.

Latest news and reviews

View more
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why
Airline News

This Canadian airline flies 49-year-old aircraft: we tell you why

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood
Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing
Airline News

Why Emirates built its airline around two aircraft - and why that’s changing

Feb 13, 2026

Nicholas Ling

Featured articles

View more
NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport
Airline News

NTSB Final Report: causes of the midair collision at Reagan National Airport

Feb 19, 2026

Josh Wood
This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul
Airline News

This review proves that low cost carriers aren't always cheaper: AirAsia X vs Malaysia Airlines long haul

Feb 12, 2026

Airline Ratings
Arik Air B737 diverts after engine failure mid-flight
Airline News

Arik Air B737 diverts after engine failure mid-flight

Feb 12, 2026

Josh Wood
LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation
Airline News

LATAM 777’s high-stakes rejected takeoff in São Paulo prompts an investigation

Feb 18, 2026

Josh Wood