The Airbus A320 family’s striking, brand new Airspace cabin is moving a step closer to airline service with JetBlue, following the start of flight testing of the first Airspace Single-Aisle aircraft.
Sporting new design features and offering a high level of passenger comfort consistent with Airbus’ widebody A330neo and A350 Airspace cabin products, Airspace for the A320 Family has:
- A redesigned entrance area with customisable welcome lighting;
- New extra-large “XL” overhead bins – the largest in its class;
- Re-styled window bezels which allow more light into the cabin;
- Integrated window shades and new side walls delivering a sleek, customized look while yielding even more shoulder room;
- New lavatories with anti-microbial coatings and touchless features;
- A customizable ‘hero’ ceiling light plus full-colour LED lighting throughout the cabin.
Special test flights are being flown to give the cabin a good shakedown.
Michael Willmer, Airbus’ technical leader for the A320 Family Airspace Cabin programme explains that the rationale for these tests is to ensure the overall maturity and robustness of the new cabin during the flight.
Mariya Stoyanova, Director of Product Development at JetBlue said that “with its unique cabin design and improved reliability, we are confident that Airspace will bring a residential touch to our cabin and help customers feel at home in the sky.
“We look forward to continuing working with our partners at Airbus as they continue to iterate the product and ensure its readiness to take flight in the near future.”